I had my first walk today – like a real exercise walk, with the sole purpose of getting fit. It was a spur of the moment thing. I’d already gone to Athletic Yoga class this morning, but hours later, I downed an entire bag of microwave popcorn and felt bloated again. So I decided to do something about it.
‘Something’, in this case, was geekily prepare. I looked up how to start a walking exercise regimen. I transferred all sorts of MP3 albums to my Walkman phone. I donned my barely used Nike cross-trainers. I reset my Chicken Little / Kellogg’s pedometer* to zero. Then I set out for my first 30-minute walk.
And I discovered what probably millions of fit, athletic people already knew – walking is fun! I listened to the String Quartet tribute to Death Cab For Cutie as I walked the near empty streets of the village. It had just rained, so the air was cool. During the walk, I learned a couple of things:
- There are lots of bugs, the little ones that fly in swarms. Probably because it was evening, and post-rain.
- The route I planned out in my head (down the street until the main road, then down another street to get back home) turned out to be only 20 minutes long.
- The longcut I took in order to extend 10 more minutes turned out to be a loooong uphill road with no intersections, and for a minute I thought I’d gotten lost in my own village. But that exploratory longcut ended up right in front of my house ten seconds after 30 minutes!
- And those 30 minutes equaled 1036 steps, which is just over half a mile, or 0.86 kilometers.
- Oh, and I also learned that serious walking can be tiring as shit.
All in all, I’m happy! And I’m already planning to do this regularly (at intervals with my yoga classes). Now I need to go shop for more jogging pants, maybe an armband for my Walkman phone, etc. I’m keeping the Chicken Little pedometer, though 😉
*Yes, a free kiddie pedometer from a cereal box. But hey, at least it works!